Sunday, August 28, 2011

First Coptic Bound Book & a Little History

I have always enjoyed being creative. I loved my art class in junior high and went on to an art high school in Manhattan. My Saturday job for years as a teenager was working at the Island Art Center. When I went to college, I worked various jobs, including as a picture framer at Provo Craft, a photo retoucher for Doug Martin Photography, and my all time favorite job, as a book repairer in the Harold B. Lee Library at BYU. I never finished my degree, but want to in the future. I don't know yet what it will be in, but I am still very drawn to book making/repairing/conservation. Maybe I will major in Art History and go into conservation. Maybe I will get a job as an ultrasound technician to have money for book making supplies and a housekeeper and make books in all my spare minutes. We shall see what the future brings. :)

This past June I took a class from Karleigh Jae. It was heavenly to do something I love again and I learned sewing, which I had never done before. Perhaps the most valuable thing I learned was that I could do lots of bookmaking at home, learning on my own. Thank you Karleigh for the teaching and inspiration!

Here is the book I made.



No comments: